Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Urinary retention caused by old semen in prostate?

neotiger - Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:03 am

I'm a 40 year old male. Have been having urinary retention problem for the last 4 or 5 years.

About 6 weeks ago all of a sudden I couldn't urinate. I went to the emergency room. They did: prostate exam, bedside ultrasound, and urine test. They found UTI. Gave me antibiotics (ciprofloxacin) and after a while I could urinate (although difficultly) again. The ER doctor recommended that i saw an urologist.

About a week later have burning sensation in my urethra. Went to see my PCP. He decided it was UTI and gave me a different antiobiotics (clarithromycin). The burning sensation went away after a few days.

I recently saw a urologist. He performed a prostate exam and ruled out enlarged prostate. Urine test showed no UTI. The urologist then talked to another (likely more senior) urologist. The 2nd urologist came into the room and pressed on my prostate *really really* hard with his finger. Some semen oozed out.

He told me that was old semen accumulated in my prostate and it caused my urinary retention. He said there's nothing he could do. The only way to get better is to make sure I ejaculate every time I get excited.

I have never heard of old semen causing urinary retention. I tried to look up more info but came up empty.

Do you think this is a correct diagnosis? Can you point me to the right place where I can find more information about this? What is the medical term for this?

Should I get a second opinion?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am

User avatar Hello,Acute urinary retention other than the common causes would also include the rarer problem of the prostate.Acute urinary retention has been reported to be caused by intraprostatic cysts.Transrectal ultrasonography can be used for diagnosis to identify this rare cause and treatment with transperineal aspiration resulted in return of normal micturition and sperm volume.
Best wishes.

[Acute urinary retention caused by intraprostatic cysts: diagnostic and therapeutic role of transrectal prostatic echography Arch Ital Urol Androl. 1996 Dec;68(5 Suppl):201-5.)

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us