Question: Inadequate and diluted semen ejaculation for last 10 months

trustme - Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:57 am

I am around 40, of Asian origin. Since last 10 moth or so, there has been a substantial reduction in the amount of semen ejaculated. Also, during the same period, there has been a reduction in the density of the ejaculated semen.

I am worried as this is reducing the probability of my wife to be pregnant.

By the way, my wife was pregnant 2 years back but unfortunately at around 30 months of pregnancy my wife's uterus-mouth opened-up and the baby had to be taken out. Eventually, my baby died. This has made both of us all the more desperate to get pregnant and any help in sorting out the semen problem would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:02 am

User avatar Hello,The sperms are produced by the testis but the semen as it comes out is not just the sperms, but the fluids from the seminal vesicle and the prostate along with the sperms.
The ejaculate would be about 1tsp full.Frequent discharge, while not harmful could lead to lesser ejaculate.The bulk of the volume is from the seminal vesicles and rest from the prostate and sperms.
Retrograde ejaculation is where the ejaculate gets diverted back and should be thought of if there is a very low volume of ejaculate.
Just because you have a lesser volume does not mean infertility.You can get a semen analysis done to be sure all is fine.Sperm count,motility,morphology of the sperm,volume,fructose levels,liquifaction all have a role in taking a decision to rule out problems relating to sperms.