Question: Could extending the urethra cause retrograde ejaculation?

muggles2010 - Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:38 am

Hello. I am a 25 year old male. When I was born, I had a variety of complications, including only one kidney. I suffered greatly from repeated kidney infections, and so when I was two the decision was made to extend my urethra. My fiancee and I have now been trying for a baby for nearly two years, with no success, and retrograde ejaculation has been mentioned, due to my small amount of ejaculate. Could the surgery I had have caused this? If so, would it have caused nerve damage which could be treated with Sudafed etc, or actual bladder neck damage which can't be rectified? We want to know the likelihood of conceiving naturally without the need of ART. Thank you
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:51 pm

It appears from your description that you had perhaps undergone 'urethral extension' as part of surgery for 'Hypospadias' (congenitally displaced external urethral meatus).

Some of the common specific complications following this type of surgery include
- urethral stenosis,
- persistent chordee(curvature of the penile shaft),
- Fistulation: urinary leakage from the area around the urethral repair, &
- Bladder spasms.

Retrograde ejaculation is perhaps not a common complication but is a theoretical possibility.

You need a full urological assessment before specific answers could be offered. Best wishes!