Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Pain after Varicocele

davebuczek - Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:36 pm

I has been 53 days after my Varicocele surgery and I still feel some pain in my left testicle. It is not the same pain as before the surgery. Do the veins die out after they have been ligated? If so, could this be what is causing me the pain? My doctor says to give it some time, but in 3 months everything should be ok. I have read many articles, where it is suggested that after 1 month everything should be normal. Could just take longer to heal or is there probably something else wrong? I should add that the dialated veins are not there anymore and there are no other visual signs of the varicocele.

Thanks for the help and best wishes.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:35 am

Some degree of pain in the scrotum following varicocele surgery is quite usual.This usually subsides in due course.Cessation of pain or discomfort may take a while but it is impossible to predict exactly the duration.

The blood flow in the ligated veins is interrupted by ligation and the blood in them clots.The veins may eventually attenuate or even fibrose.Occasionally, re canalization may occur.

As you do not feel the veins after surgery, it is obvious that the surgery was successful and hopefully, the pain should go away.It may help to wear a scrotal support.