Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Several Erections Problems

guy28 - Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:50 am

I'm a 31 year old male with no previous health problems. For the last 3 years i have been having progressive problems getting and keeping an erection. When i do get one its not very strong and only lasts a few seconds. You can see my penis throbbing as it goes back down. It doesn't hurt though. Also it is less sensitive to the touch than it used to be. Also sometimes my urine stream splits in two after I have attempted an erection. Also sometimes i think i can feel my prostate swelling, like i'm sitting on a tennis ball after i masturbate. My urine streams are kind of weak but feel normal. One last thing, my erections used to be straight, but now it curves off to the right, not as much as a banana but it doesn't look normal like it used to. I read that maybe over masturbation can cause some of these issues. I do it at least once a day, and have since i was about 13 or 14. Any answers would be of great help.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:44 am

User avatar Hello,ED or Erectile Dysfunction as it is called is defined as inability to sustain and maintain an erection sufficient for a satisfactory sexual activity.
Usually anxiety,depression and lack of confidence are the main problem and known as pschogenic ED.
Also vascular,neurological,injuries,drugs,alcohol,smoking,diabetes,ageing,hypogonadism are other known causes.In iatrogenic the cause is not known.
Performance anxiety is the commonest cause.Guilt relating to masturbation plays an important role here.
Tests done include nocturnal penile tumescence,rigi scan,doppler,and tests to study venous occusive mechanism.
Treatment would depend on the cause.Best wishes.