Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Urethra opening of penis is red

Dark0wnz - Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:27 pm

Hello, I am a 20 year old male who is uncircumcised and my urethral opening is red. However, there is no pain, discharge, itching or even a really foul smell. I have noticed that my foreskin seems to be tight which makes it difficult to pull completely back. I've noticed on the inside of my foreskin there is what looks like either a small cut or a vein that is also red and maybe a few very small bumps but once again no pain or anything. I guess im just looking for a direction to go in about all of this. Your help is appreciated thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:53 pm

User avatar Hello,Inflammation of the penile head is known as balanitis and the prepuce posthitis.Both are common of the uncircumsized penis due to difficulty in cleaning.Mild infection sets in and the early signs include the redness of the opening of the urethral orifice.
You need to get examined to rule out other causes of tightening of prepuce like balanitis xeritica obliterans which is rare.
You may need a course of antibiotic,and antifungal creme or internal antibiotic if the balanitis is severe.
Recurrence may be an indication for circumcision in some.Most of minor infections resolve with proper cleansing with soap and water.