Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: UTI for vast majority of my life

LizzieBees - Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:24 pm

Hi. I'm female, 20 years of age and I've had a uti for about 16 years. I deal with incontinence on a daily basis along with sharp stabbing pains in one or both sides of my ribs (made worse by breathing). These pains I've also had for years, recently however they've been more like constant tenderness and occasional pains. All of my symptoms fluctuate greatly week to week or month to month. I haven't really noticed a pattern. I've always had very strange menstrual cycles as well, I was on my period for five months straight once, and I could go through a pad or tampon in 15 minutes. Or I might not even have one for a few months. I finally found a birth control that helps,I still get extra periods from time to time. But it's nothing compared to what it used to be.

Some extra symptoms, I'm not sure if they're related... Headaches almost daily, and joint pains usually only lasting a day or so. The joint pains usually occur in my hip, knee, wrist or shoulder. And are completely random.

I've been hospitalized a couple of times for possible kidney infections. They usually give me a cat scan (which always comes back normal) and test me for pancreatitis (which also comes back negative) and then they just tell me I have a UTI and send me home. I've been to lots of doctors and everything's always "almost" normal. I was diagnosed with vasovagal syncope and anemia. I had a cystoscopy and I passed out in the bed, she said she didn't find anything too alarming and perscribed me another antibiotic.

On a daily basis I use/b-line to the bathroom at least 10 times. And I always go. There's usually a long after contraction, and frequently small unidentifiable bits floating. Or a larger unidentifiable chunk of something on the bottom of the toilet. And still every doctor tells me I have a UTI like I've never heard it before. ANTIBIOTICS DON'T WORK, I've been on them all. I'm at a loss, I'm frustrated and everything only seems to get worse. A customer of mine noticed a reaction I had to one of those pains in my side and were very worried. That's when I realized how not normal and problematic this is. I really wish someone would take me seriously. Please help..... :(
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:18 am

User avatar Hello,Interstitial cystitis is a painful bladder disease charecterised by painful micturition,urgency,frequency with out evidence of bacterial infection.It is more common in women and is chronic.
In contrast somatization disoder is a psychiatric problem with menstrual disorders,and painful urination.
Many a times interstitial cystitis is underdiagnosed.
Rarer causes of such symptoms would include tuberculous cystitis,and bilharzia if you have visited africa or nile valley.
 LizzieBees - Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:24 pm

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! This has been extremely helpful :) I'm gonna go get checked out for IC.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:56 am

User avatar Lizzie,Hope you would recover fast and do keep us track of the same.Best wishes.