Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: UA's keep coming back diluted

blush05 - Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:55 pm

I have to take random UA's for my parole. They keep coming back diluted. I am a runner (I run at altitude: 9000 ft) and drink alot of water. I have tried not drinking water before I take my UA and then drinking as normal after, but this is not helping. What can I safely drink that will not dilute my urine but will also keep me hydrated enough to run? The parole office is saying that I can consume no more than 1 cup of water per day???
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:48 am

As you are on parole, you are obliged to folow the instructions of the parole official. They have their own protocols which they have arrived at by trial and error.You don't seemingly have much of a choice in this.

There are many protocols for urine sample collection.One such, for example: "The person to be tested will be given up to eight ounces of water, and will remain under staff supervision until the specimen is provided" (you may confirm from the parole office directly as to their protocol).

A dilute specimen, by definition, is a urine specimen that has a creatinine value of less than 20 g/dl and a specific gravity of 1.003 or less. These 2 tests are routinely performed on every urine sample that is tested at the Lab. If the specimen satisfies these 2 criteria, it is reported as a "Dilute specimen". When a urine specimen is "dilute", it is possible that drugs in their system may not be detected.

If one specimen turns out to be 'dilute', another specimen may be collected as soon as possible with minimum advance notice,
this will help prevent false negative results.

You need not be too concerned about becoming dehydrated if
- you refrain from mountain climbing for a day or two prior to testing &
- follow the local protocol.
Good luck!