Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: UTI or Interstitial Cystitis?

 Pat87 - Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:58 pm

Hi all, I’m a 17yr old virgin Male who has in the past suffered from recurring UTI's but recently I have noticed some of the symptoms of UTI becoming more similar to Interstitial Cystitis. The symptoms of UTI for me was constant urinating after masturbation and discomfort around my bladder area, which my doctor treated with Trimethoprim Tablets for 14 days after a urine test showed my urine had bacteria in it (the tablets was for the UTI not the discomfort), which was effective in stopping it at the time. But now I have completely stopped the masturbation because the UTI just came back after, but I still get the same problems with constant urination along with extra problems of my waist feeling 'congested' when my bladder fills up during the night when sleeping which hurts when I take a deep breath, but once I've emptied my bladder the pain goes away. Could you please help me, because I don't understand how masturbation managed to cause me a UTI as this problem is usually associated with sexual intercourse with a partner, and why does the problem seem to be worsening to the point symptoms are resembling Interstitial Cystitis, what is going on in my body please explain? :oops:
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:02 am

User avatar Hi Pat87,
UTI's are generally caused by introduction of bacteria into the urinary tract. My concern for you is have you been evaluated by a urologist to identify any other anomalies? If you have not been, inquire with your physician about a referral since longstanding problems should not be left untreated.
 Pat87 - Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:51 pm

Yes I have been referred to an Urologist I am expecting to be seen by them in 3weeks from now just hope the problem doesn’t get worse by then, but whilst I’m waiting for the urology appointment what changes could I make to reduce symptoms, e.g. Diet changes?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:41 pm

User avatar Hi Pat87,
Drink plenty of water, you may also want to try some cranberry juice as this is sometimes helpful. The is an over the counter medication that you can purchase for urinary burning etc., just inquire at you pharmacy. Last but not least, be sure to empty your bladder before going to bed. Please keep us posted on the Urologist's findings.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us