Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: bleeding from penis

toolbox765 - Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:41 pm

when i went to urinate today there was blood comming out of my penis i have no pain and don't remember having any injuries can you help thank you
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:00 am

User avatar Hello,The commonest type of bleeding in a young male is frenular tear.This bleeding is from tearing the connection from the glans penis to the prepuce and related to sex or masturbation.
Your history does not suggest it and may be related to bleeding from the urethra.This type of bleeding is generally at the beginning of passing urine and is frank blood.If it occours at the end it would be possibly from the prostate.
All these type of bleeding are classified under gross hematuria.The bleeding could occur from the kidneys down to urethra,ureters,bladder etc.
A n urologic consultation would be essential.Stones,injury,infection,polypoid tumours could be behind this.
Urine analysis,cystoscopy, ultrasound,MRI scans are the tests generally done.
Do get examined to rule out the conditions that could cause frank bleeding.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us