Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: SEVERE UTI & kidney infection or STD

montezumadazzler - Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:37 pm

I am a 23 year old female, a mother of two, and has suffered from UTI's since the first year of my marriage. It got worse after I had my first born, and I was left untreated by my doctor's who would tell me to drink plenty of water, and that the infection should go away. I was in a lot of pain. I had pain on my right side which lead me to believe the infection had reached my kidneys. After a move from the state, I went to go see another doctor at the state I was in, which she prescribed me a medicine that started with micro-for urinary tract infections for individuals that were allergic to penicillin. I happen to be allergic to penicillin. So, doctors will not prescribe me medications that contain penicillin because I will break out into a rash. I was on this micro-drug my whole pregnancy with my second child and two weeks after my pregnancy. The UTI did not go away, and neither did the nuisant pain on my right side (my kidney). Again, I went to see another doctor, and she prescribed me Cipro for a whole month after my results came in severe for UTI. Perhaps, the treatment wasn't long enough because I ended up feeling pain when I urinated and the strong pain on my right side. Again, I moved to another state, and decided to visit a doctor from a different country. She also did an analysis and the results came back positive for severe UTI. She told me that the medications that the doctor's had prescribed me in the USA were not strong enough to fight the bacterias found in my urine so not only did she give me an antibiotic shot on my buttock, but she prescribed me very good pain killers that made the pain go away on my right side (my kidney) and Noroxin 400mg. I've had this problem for 3 years now. The pain on my right side is sometimes very unbareable, and the UTI, I think is still very present. I have been on Noroxin for 2 months now. My doctor told me not to eat anything spicy and to drink ONLY water (a gallon and a half a day) and natural juices. She told me to stay away from anything caffeine, tea, coffee, chocolate, coke, koolaids and tang. I had felt better when I stayed away from these colored drinks and spice foods, but it is very hard at times. I have noticed the pain come back on my kidney when I break the rules. I cannot do anything physical like sexual intercourse nor exercising. The pain will come back, and I will break out into a fever. Is there another way to cure this "severe UTI and kidney infection"? Or do I have some type of STD?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:43 am

Urinary tract infections (UTI) are common in women, but you should establish if you have an uncomplicated or a complicated UTI.

In uncomplicated UTI, the urinary tract has no structural abnormality, the renal function is normal and you have no associated disease which impairs defence mechanisms.
In complicated UTI, the urinary tract is abnormal due to obstruction or kidney disorders, or there is an associated disease that predisposes to it, such as diabetes mellitus.

I am surprised that with this long history of UTI, you have not been subjected to imaging techniques for investigation of your urinary tract. It is of great importance to undergo a renal ultrasound as well as renal function tests as the next steps of investigation. Please see a urologist to conduct further investigations along these lines.

Meanwhile, there are preventive measures to be adopted for women with recurrent UTI, but these must be started after investigations and completion of a curative course of treatment and continued for several months.

*Fluid intake of at least 2 litres per day
*Regular emptying of bladder – 3 hourly intervals by day and before sleep
*Complete emptying of the bladder
*Double micturition: before retiring for the night: empty the bladder and then attempt to empty the bladder a second time 15 minutes later.
*Empty bladder before and after intercourse.

I hope this information is helpful.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine