Question: penis pain- recurring now sharper

quirky997 - Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:27 pm

I'm a 59 year old man, who has been monogamous for 9 years with the same woman. About 8 years ago, I had a sharp pain while having sex (mission position, nothing abnormal). I saw a urologist who recommended not having sex for 2 weeks, and taking 800 mg of vitamin E. It mostly cleared up, but ever since then, anytime we have a lot of sex, or anything vigorous the pain returns. One thing that will usually always cause it to occur is trying to have sex while not fully erect. It usually takes a couple weeks to recover. I've also noted that my penis now curves right instead of being straight when erect. It has been harder to maintain an erection because it hits a painful spot and goes away. My PCP suggested I might have Peyronie's disease.

After having sex a couple times last weekend, I became sore again. My penis was sore on the right side (usual spot), near the tip, and a little under the base. The pain could be described as dull, aching, and occasionally sharp. This morning I woke up with an erection, and very sharp pain at the bottom and sides of the base of my penis. Dipstick U/A was normal, no signs of lumps or discoloration. I called my urologist for an appointment, and he had no openings for a month. My questions would be:
1. Any suggestions on what might be going on? and
2. Would you suggest I try to get in to see a urologist sooner, or exercise watchful waiting for a month.

Thanks for any help!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:04 pm

Your history indeed suggests Peyronie's disease as a strong possibility.

Peyronie's disease is believed to be a connective tissue disorder of the penis mostly associated with penile curvature and, in some cases, pain.

It primarily affects men between 45 and 60 years of age.Penile curvature may not be seen in some cases.Some present with just localized depressed areas over the shaft of the penis.
About 30-50% of cases have other stigmata of connective tissue disorders such as Ledderhose's disease (fibrosis of the plantar fascia) or Dupuytren's contracture (fibrosis of the palmar fascia). Trauma is believed to play a some role in the genesis of this condition.

Management: non-surgical & surgical. Non-surgical means has been found to be useful in some patients with early disease(in the first 6-12 months of diagnosis while the plaque is still immature).

After this period, surgical option assumes the main role as the plaque becomes mature As your problem started about 8 years back (if indeed the diagnosis is certain),one month of waiting should not cause too much worry. On the other hand, if the diagnosis was not firm, then you should see a urologist earlier.
Good luck!
 quirky997 - Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:33 am

Thank you very much for the reply Dr. Kamath!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:41 pm

User avatar Hi quirky997,
Thank you for keeping me informed.Glad that i could be of some help. Good day!