Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Swollen band/ridge below glans/head--no pain

DanSmith - Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:38 pm

I had sex with my girlfriend of many years. A couple of days later,after returning home from a busy workweek,I noticed a swollen band or ridge just below the head,on the top/right side. It does not cause pain at any time. It looks slightly puffy while flacid,and becomes a firm ridge while erect.Slightly bumpy under the skin. Similar in texture to gristle on steak. About an inch long x 1/4" wide. No discoloration. I am circumsized. Erection and other sexual functions are unaffected. Though it feels very abnormal to the hand. It has been about two weeks without change,now. And I am becoming nervous.
-Thank you for your knowledge and time.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:30 am

User avatar Hello,Sometimes a thrombosed dorsal vein of penis would present like a cord like structure.It is not a serious condition but rarely thought of.This is known as Mondor's Disease.It is self limiting.Mostly it is due to friction and rubbing during sex.
The other differential diagnosis would be peyronie's which can again cause a rigid structure during erection.It is chronic and causes penile deviation.It is painful too during erection.
The best course of action would be to get an ultrasound test to make sure.
It is likely that it would settle in a few weeks and you should be fine.Do consult your doctor.