Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Rotten Meat

Grantk - Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:33 pm

I don't know if this is where I should ask this question but here it goes: I watched a show about natives living in the Amazon region. They decided they needed meat in their diet and so they hiked 5 days deeper into the jungle, went hunting, and got a large boar. Instead of cooking and preparing the meat right then, they took 5 days and carried it back to camp through the heat of the forest. By the time they got back it smelled so bad that the film crew could only film for a few minutes at a time. But the natives butchered the boar, boiled and ate the meat anyway.

How is this possible without their getting sick?
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:22 pm

Well, don’t try this at home! Wild Boars are carriers of Trichinosis (Trichinella spiralis). The adult worms bore through the intestinal wall, enter the blood and lymphatic system and are carried to the muscle tissue where they become enclosed in a capsule waiting to be eaten by humans or other animals. Inside the new host body, they will do the same thing while causing fever, pain and even death. Trichinosis can be killed by thorough cooking or deep freezing for long periods of time. Rotting meat … yuck, I don’t know what to say about that. They either have some pretty tolerant digestive systems and good immune systems or they have a really small tribe.