Question: Pelvic floor dysfunction only, hopefully not interstitial cy

cheerdancegirl_12 - Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:28 pm

How can someone tell if they have a pelvic floor dyfunction rather than interstitial cystitis? I recently had two UTI's (I'm a female) and before the first I realized that I was leaking urine all over. I had to lean to one side on the toilet to get it all out. I'm 20 years old and I found that very odd to have incontinence. So I realized how to get it all out so there would not be as much leakage after I urinated. I went to the doctor, it turned out I had a bladder infection. I got antibiotics, afterwards I thought that I lost the feeling of having to urinate as in I did not feel any urges. Later, I developed a mild pain all around my pubic bone. I later went and had another infection. I realized I had been wiping the wrong way despite hearing it over and over again the correct way to wipe. Got antibiotics and never felt like I got better at all. Still urges and some pressure. I do not have any infections right now. But I still have light leakage which happens if I lay on my side, sometimes when I am just sitting in the car. This is everyday. The last couple of days I have had a pretty much constant urge that stays after I have just gone to the restroom. I'm thinking it must be PFD. I read somewhere this might be the problem. I think it stems from going to public restrooms and always squating over the toilet to urinate. Sometimes I feel a slight burning where my bladder is. Never any blood in urine or when urinating. Some pain near pubic bone and down below, vulva area. I also noticed I cannot get a really strong stream and I always seem to urinate the same amount. I have the urge to urinate all day and night. I feel as if I have more urine that needs to come out. What do you think it could be?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:14 am

There are a number of conditions that cause urinary frequency. I will try and give you some details of some of them so that it may help you to discriminate.

a) Urinary tract infections: Dipstick test is the generally accepted screening test for UTI. But, Mycoplasma and ureaplasma are not always picked up on standard dip test screens.

Although, UTIs are generally diagnosed by urinary cultures,sometimes it is probable that the organism that is causing the infection may be grown in smaller numbers (Low-count bacteriuria) and thus dismissed as a contaminant!

As you are a young woman, it may be worth remembering that Staphylococcus saprophyticus is a common cause of urinary tract infections (UTIs) in young and middle-aged women(next only to E.Coli).Staphylococcus saprophyticus is a coagulase-negative staphylococcus associated primarily with community-acquired lower urinary tract infection (UTI).

b) One may also need to keep in mind the possibility of the Traumatic cystitis(due to sexual intercourse).

c) 'Overactive bladder' is not uncommon in women. The cause is unknown. It causes bladder contractions that occur on their own without the stimulation of an actually full bladder. Most of the time one has urgency symptoms but not too much of pain. Nocturnal frequency is common but the frequency is less compared to interstitial cystitis. Urinary cultures are usually negative.

d) Bowel spasticity or Ovarian cysts are known to cause a feeling of bladder fullness and urgency.

e) Urethral syndrome can cause a urethral urgency ,but, the sensation of full bladder may be notably lacking.

In your case, 'Overactive bladder' appears to be the more likely diagnosis, perhaps made worse by anxiousness or a UTI. Consult a urologist, discuss the various possibilities and get fully investigated.