Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Staph infection and Strep both w/ open sores on foreskin

stooly76 - Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:36 pm

I went to the ER last Wednesday which took the swabs which I received today. My urologist can't do a circumcision until the end of July and won't prescribe anything other than lidocane cream and ketoralac. Same as my family doctor. I have oozing open sores on my foreskin that literally make me cry every time I have to open to urinate. What do I do?? Please help me I can not take this pain. It's at the point where even applying water to soak it hurts. Please, please help me

This has gotten worse and worse for 2 months. I went thru 18 flucanozale pills and tubes and tubes of clotrazamole cream. Nothing works
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:09 pm

I empathize with you for the suffering you are going through.I guess, your doctor (rightly so) probably prescribed to you 2% linocaine gel for topical analgesia.

Lidocaine 3.5% and 5% have been studied (and being studied) for their efficacy in neuropathic pains and for post operative analgesia.

As the % of lignocaine increases, potential for local and systemic toxicity increases proportionately.Topical local anaesthetics may be absorbed through mucosal surfaces and the rate of absorption is unpredictable.Therefore serious systemic side-effects can occur. Potential for mortality from respiratory arrest exists as the % is hiked up.

So far,there has not been widespread inclination or need to put 10% lidocaine through clinical trials. 5% lidocaine appears to be satisfactory enough for most purposes.

I see from your profile that you are on alprazolam and citalopram hydrobromide.

In this situation, your doctor is rightly cautious about which topical analgesia to prescribe. I suggest that you should first discuss this predicament with your psychiatrist and then discuss the possibility of your psychiatrist and family doctor jointly deciding on the most ideal way forward in planning safe and effective analgesia for you.
Good luck!
 stooly76 - Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:49 pm

Thank you for your reply and insight.

I have since had a circumcision and am now healing. It has been 5 days since surgery and the stitches have finally stopped the bleeding. I do have some discomfort but compared to the pain before it is nothing.

I am basically just keeping the wound clean and applying neosporin. The surgeon said 6-8 weeks for full recovery? This seems to be a long time but he had said the infection was severe. Would the staph infection be the reason I had been so tired and moody?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:18 am

Thank you for your update. Glad that you have got rid of those painful sores. Any underlying focus of infection can make one feel terrible at times! o, it was certainly possible in your case that the infection+ the pain+ anxiety combination took its toll on you! Hope you will recover uneventfully. Good luck!