Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: How long hematuria normal following TUIP?

germie - Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:35 pm

Hello, and thank you for your time.

My husband recently had a Transurethral incision of the prostate (TUIP). He is 41 and otherwise healthy with exception of having Von Willebrand's disease (Type I, mild typically, asymptomatic). Day of surgery he was treated with DDAVP and also received a day after surgery. He used Stimate on post-op days 3 and 4.

Since his release from the hospital, he has seen blood in his urine. Some days, he may not see any blood but other days he may see a little more blood.

How long is it normal for blood to be seen in the urine following a TUIP?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:35 am

User avatar Hi,
Minimal hematuria following transurethral incision of the prostate(TUIP) is quite usual.
One may expect the bleeding to last approximately for about 6 weeks following surgery. The bleeding is usually intermittent and not massive.The 'raw area' created by the incision within the urinary bladder takes a while to heal, as it is continuously in contact with the urine.

If heavy bleeding, or clots are noted, one should be reported to the urologist.This hematuria generally abates spontaneously.

As your husband has Von Willebrand's disease (Type I), it is wise lean on the side of caution and consult your urologist to decide if any additional measures(haemostatic preparations such as: factor concentrate, fresh plasma, tranexamic acid or desmopressin) may be indicated. In the meanwhile, give him plenty of water to drink to aid in healing of the incision and control of the hematuria.
Good luck!
 germie - Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:06 pm

Thank you for your quick reply Dr. Kamath!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:28 am

User avatar Hi,
Thank you! It is my pleasure. Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us