Question: How long hematuria normal following TUIP?

germie - Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:35 pm

Hello, and thank you for your time.

My husband recently had a Transurethral incision of the prostate (TUIP). He is 41 and otherwise healthy with exception of having Von Willebrand's disease (Type I, mild typically, asymptomatic). Day of surgery he was treated with DDAVP and also received a day after surgery. He used Stimate on post-op days 3 and 4.

Since his release from the hospital, he has seen blood in his urine. Some days, he may not see any blood but other days he may see a little more blood.

How long is it normal for blood to be seen in the urine following a TUIP?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:35 am

Minimal hematuria following transurethral incision of the prostate(TUIP) is quite usual.
One may expect the bleeding to last approximately for about 6 weeks following surgery. The bleeding is usually intermittent and not massive.The 'raw area' created by the incision within the urinary bladder takes a while to heal, as it is continuously in contact with the urine.

If heavy bleeding, or clots are noted, one should be reported to the urologist.This hematuria generally abates spontaneously.

As your husband has Von Willebrand's disease (Type I), it is wise lean on the side of caution and consult your urologist to decide if any additional measures(haemostatic preparations such as: factor concentrate, fresh plasma, tranexamic acid or desmopressin) may be indicated. In the meanwhile, give him plenty of water to drink to aid in healing of the incision and control of the hematuria.
Good luck!
 germie - Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:06 pm

Thank you for your quick reply Dr. Kamath!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:28 am

Thank you! It is my pleasure. Good luck!