Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Is it called incontinence if urine comes out of vagina?

Lizzie990 - Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:11 pm

I have had continuous UTIs and baceterial vaginosis for several years along with leakage of urine. Ater urinating, I will feel a gush of urine coming out of my vagina upon walking out of the restroom. I performed my own test by taking a pill that makes my urine turn orange, inserting a tampon and then urinating. After urinating, I remove the tampon and it is soaked 3/4 of the way from the top all the way down. This happens every time I urinate. There is no leakage from the urethra after urinating.

In the past, I have always had a weak bladder, meaning I can't hold my urine very long or I will leak. This I have had all my life.

I went to a urologist, I had a CT scan, voiding cystogarm and a blue dye test including a cystoscopy. The doctor saw nothing unusal. He told me I have incontinence and he will be placing me on medicine to control it.

If I have incontinence, how is urine getting into my vagina while urinating?

Thank you!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:06 pm

User avatar Hi,
Your history strongly suggests a fistulation between the genital and urinary tracts.It is possible that you may have a vesicovaginal or even more so, a urethrovaginal fistula. Symptomatology in this condition depends upon location.

A vesicovaginal fistula certainly causes incontinence of urine.

Urthrovaginal fistulae close to the bladder neck are often associated with incontinence. Inspection will usually identify a large fistula, whereas urethroscopy, cystoscopy and vaginoscopy may be needed to detect a smaller one. It is important to rule out an associated an vesicovaginal fistula in these cases.

A detailed pelvic examination usually reveals clear fluid pooling at the apex of the vagina. On close inspection, a pinpoint opening at the vaginal apex is often seen in mature fistulas. In immature fistulae, an inflamed erythematous vaginal mucosa is often visible, with pinkish granulation tissue surrounding the fistulous tract. The fistulous opening is often difficult to identify in immature fistulas. In certain situations, pelvic examination under general anesthesia may be indicated.

Like any investigatory modality in medicine, false positives and false negatives do continue to occur from time to time. It is possible that in your case, a false negative situation might have occurred.

So, a detailed gynecological examination apart from a review by the urologist is probably indicated under the circumstances.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us