Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Pain before and during peeing - sexually active

 jscott - Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:14 pm

I am a 37 y.o. male that is sexually active. As background, I have had intercourse several times over the past month with multiple partners. I used condoms during intercourse. Some of the condoms have a spermicidal lubricant, but others did not. I have also received unprotected oral sex multiple times.

The problem... about 2 weeks ago, I developed a pain near the opening at the tip of my penis. I also experienced a mild burning pain while urinating. I have noticed a slight increase in the frequency of urination or the feeling of needing to urinate. After a few days, it subsided or lessened in intensity. However, in the past week it has resurfaced. I have not experienced blood in urine or any other milky or discolored discharges. My urine looks normal- yellow to clear. I have not noticed any sores on or around my penis. At times it has been a little red around the head, but this is following sexual activity or masturbation.
I have had some lower back pain, but I am also overweight and recently took a long international flight, so I thought that was probably stiffness or muscle pain.

I would like to figure out if this is a UTI, yeast infection or an STD. Can you diagnose or give some suggestions?

 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:57 am

User avatar Hello,The first thing here would be to rule out non gonococcal urethritis which can get transmitted despite using a condom though less likely using it.Discharge may be minimal and there could be some burning sensation.Gonorrhea should be ruled out before this diagnosis.
Azithromycin or doxycycline is used as need to get treatment to prevent transmission.With out treatment the infection can ascend up and cause epididymitis etc.In women pelvic inflammatory disease is the major complication leading in some to infertility.
So do get tested and treated early.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us