Question: Frequent male urination with no infection.

cmfwizza - Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:08 pm

Hello Doctor,

I am a 33 yr old male and I have the frequent urge to urinate. I feel the urge in my urethra, but there is no pain when urinating or to the touch and my urine is clear. There has never been any cloudy discharge or any type of skin abnormality. I've had two urinalyses, which both were normal (no bacteria, normal pH, etc.) i also had a lipid panel, which was normal. I did obtain the samples after cleaning the tip of my penis and catching the flows mid-stream. I, initially, visited the doctor a few days after symptoms presentation and since then have not consumed soda, alcohol, or spicy foods.

Prior to the urine issue, I did notice two differences in my routine functions. 1) I noticed that when I strain to push out stool, some urine would dribble out of my penis. This may be normal, but I never had that happen in 33 years. 2) I noticed a clear, sticky, liquid that would come out of the end of my penis prior to ejaculation. Again, maybe normal, but never noticed before. This only happened twice and I've masturbated several time since with no clear fluid present.

I do get the urge even when I really don't have much urine to void and I do get a short respite from the urge when I do go. I do get some lower back pain in the love handle area, but this may be do to my weightlifting regimen. Also, the urges appeared after a few weeks of consuming creatine powder to supplement my workouts. I also was consuming large quantities of water during that time.

My family practitioner said I may want to see a urologist whom may perform a cytoscapy. Not really thrilled to do that. Anyway, this isn't ruining my life, but I will greatly appreciate your opinion as I move forward. Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:06 pm

User avatar Hello,The prostate gland is a sexual gland in front of the rectum and just below the bladder.This gland has two lobes which sandwich the upper urethra.During puberty the first physiological enlargement occurs,and then in early middle age.During ejaculation prostate contracts which makes up the seminal fluid, along with sperms from the testes.
When we age the prostate can get enlarged and cause problems like urgency,hesitancy,dribbling,bladder dysfunction,and possible secondary infection.It would be advisable therefore for you to get a rectal examination as a routine check up and a cystoscopy.BPH ie Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy needs to be ruled out since it can lead to bladder obstruction.
Also you need to get tested to rule out a nongonococcal urethritis and a trichomonas urthritis.Amoebic cystitis,tubercular infections,and parasites like schistosomiasis also are rarer causes.