Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Urge to urinate/weak stream. What to do?

 Holla204 - Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:28 pm

Over the past couple of weeks I have gained a more frequent urge to urinate and have been for the most part experiencing a weak urinary flow. When it first started, roughly a month ago, it would only present itself once and then go away for days. The past few days, however, I've noticed the urge and inability to drain the bladder fully as a regularity.

I've attempted changing my diet, eliminating alcohol, and have been drinking a lot of water. I had heard that cranberry juice can be effective, so I have started drinking that more.

I'm wondering what, if anything, I can do to help this nuisance without antibiotics or a doctors visit, if possible.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:18 am

User avatar Hi,
Your symptoms need a thorough urological workup.Your main symptoms in medical terms are increased urinary frequency, and urgency. You are also experiencing a feeling of incomplete evacuation of the urinary bladder.

There are two possibilities(among several others) that need to excluded first.
- a urinary tract infection(UTI) and
- a urinary bladder outlet obstruction.

In this situation, a visit to a doctor becomes very essential because untreated urinary tract infections(especially those combined with urinary tract obstruction) have a potential for causing damage to the kidneys.

Rather than consuming cranberry juice (please visit page-2 of the following link for more on cranberry juice),you should make arrangements to consult at the least your regular doctor , sooner rather than later.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us