Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Burning sensation in the pennis

vilas - Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:31 am

Hi,

For the last 5 to 6 weeks I have been feeling burning sensation on my Pennis as well as frequent pain in my testicle.
I consulted a urologist first and he put me on doxycycline and since I was not getting better, he then put me on Cipro but still I was not feeling better.
Ultra sound scans were done on my testicle as well as kidney and everything was fine. I also had Specimen taken from my pennis tested for STDs, it cameout negative.
I decided to consult my regular physician and he has sent my urine sample for culturing today. He has prescribed azithromycin and I am going to start the course from today. I am really worried about what exactly is going on...
Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Vilas
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:08 am

User avatar Hi,
For symptoms such as this, non-gonococcal urethritis needs to be excluded.

There are many causes for this condition.Some of them are listed below.

Bacteria such as
- chlamydia trachomatis(most common),
- Ureaplasma urealyticum,
- Mycoplasma genitalium,and
- Haemophilus vaginalis and others.
Parasites such as - Trichomonas vaginalis,
Viruses such as - Adenovirus, Herpes simplex virus. irritating chemicals (some spermicides and antiseptics).

Clinical manifestations frequently seen are, pain during voiding, dysuria, urinary frequency, and discharge from the urethra.
A Gram's stain helps to differentiate this from the gonococcal urethritis.

The other closely related condition is prostatitis. Please click on the following URL for more information on this condition.
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=49638&hilit=+prostatitis

Individuals with symptoms such as this would be advised to undergo comprehensive STD testing to exclude other sexually transmitted diseases.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us