Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Moving Lump in Penis

erekerendo - Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:03 am

When I have an erecrion there is a hard vein of piece of tissue theat protrudes more then normal. It is only on the left, upper center portion of my penis. I can move it around pretty freely between the overlying muscles and the underlying tissue, but it is deffinitel atatched to something. I think it is a blood vessle, but it hurts a little bit when pressure is aplied to it. Should I be concerned
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Although not comprehensive, your history does suggest a few possibilities. It does so, because of one distinctive feature - ie, the indication that a swelling is mainly seen during an erection.

The possibilities are,
- penile hemangiomas (very rare, small lesions. Therapies include electrofulguration, cryotherapy, sclerotherapy and surgical excision.
- an A-V malformation (congenital or post-traumatic),
- corporeal herniation.

Among these three, corporeal herniation seems most likely.These herniations occur via defects in the tunica albugenia which surrounds the corpora cavernosa.

Causes may be,
- idiopathic(or spontaneous corporal herniation.Isolated case reports in medical literature),
- post- traumatic (surgical or accidental trauma).

Corporal herniation has been reported following some surgical procedures:
- Nesbit plication as part of surgical treatment of Peyronie's disease,
- in relation to corporotomy incisions of penile implant procedures.

Weakening of the tunica albuginea of the corpora cavernosa thus appears to be the underlying predisposing factor for corporal herniation. Therefore, patients with a weakened albuginea could presumably develop defects at lower pressures usually necessary to cause rupture in patients with healthy albuginea.

You indicate in your profile that you were severely mauled by a dog at age 2.
I wonder if an injury to the tunica albuginea occurred at that time and perhaps went unnoticed.

You should consult a urologist and get investigated. Good luck!