Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Swollen, non-painful lump around penis.

 ptimh - Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:20 pm

I have noticed a swollen ring ring around my penis. It appeared about two days ago. The last time I had sex was four days ago, and I did masturbate the day before that and have masturbated twice since the ring appeared..

The ring is not very large, it is probably about 1/2" in width and about 1/8" thick (protruding away from penis). When it first appeared it was directly below the head of my penis and has since moved about halfway down the shaft. On first look it appeared to wrap almost entirely around my penis but becoming very thin near the bottom. Today it appears to be entirely contained on the top and the sides and is more of a lump on the left side. It is visible when flaccid or erect.

It feels soft, almost as if there were tissue or something directly beneath the skin. Everything seems to be working fine, there is no pain or discomfort. I have noticed a little problem getting an erection but that's because there is less sensitivity with the lump/ring in the way. I have noticed that when fully erect there appears to be a slightly brown line near the lumpy part of the ring.

I haven't been able to find much info on this issue. Any help or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:48 am

User avatar Hello,What you describe may fit in with superficial thrombophlebitis of the penile vein manifested generally after a vigorous sex or masturbation.Mostly painless,it can present with pain too,it is basically an inflammation of the dorsal vein of penis.
This is generally self limiting and nothing more need to be done.
The diagnosis by ultra sound.If it still persists do get a consultation.
Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us