Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Urge to Urinate, UTI test came back Negative

nhtrojan04 - Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:22 am

My first problem started about a week ago. I went to use the bathroom like any other day to urinate, however my urine felt warm and not in great amount. Even though this was strange, there was no pain while urinating. For the next couple of days I found myself having this urge to urinate 24/7. The urge was most extreme right after I had just used the bathroom. I thought this could have possibly been a UTI or an STD so I went to see my doctor to get my urine tested. The test came back negative for UTI and STD which was a relief, however I still have this urge to urinate, which like I said isn't painful but is starting to become annoying and messing up my sleep patterns. The urge is not as extreme as a week ago and only occurs off and on (mostly at night time while I am sitting in bed).

On another note, about a couple of days after my first problem (urge to urinate) started, I began to feel bloated and my abdomen started to tingle all over. Sometimes the light throbbing/tingling would be on my left abdomen, then move over to my right. Now only after I eat do I have a heavy feeling, and only on my right side of the abdomen (parallel to the belly button). I also asked my doctor if this had any influence on my urge to urinate, maybe something was pressing my bladder or something was inflammed, however he didn't believe this problem had anything to do with my urge to urinate and kind of brushed the question off. I believe he said it could just be constipation. (I don't believe it's constipation since I have defecated and my stool is brownish or normal color)

I do not know if both of these problems relate to one another and maybe they don't, maybe it's all in my head, however my main goal is to really try to fix my urge to urinate. Like I said this all started with my urge to urinate. There is no blood, pain, cloudiness in my urine and the urge isn't as extreme as a week ago but still persistent. My question is can any of these symptoms point to a certain/specific disease or problem?

I am an active 19 year old male with no major problems prior to this and my immediate family has not suffered from diseases that involve kidneys or prostate.
5'7"
130 lbs

I appreciate all the advice and help. Thanks.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:03 pm

UTIs are more frequent in females. UTI is unusual in males 3 - 50 years of age, and symptoms of dysuria and frequency are usually due to STD-related urethral or prostatic infections rather than UTIs. Also, if UTI is proven in young males, one must look out for urinary tract malformations.In older men, however, the incidence of UTI begins to rise because of increasing prevalence of bladder outflow obstruction(benign prostatic
hyperplasia-BPH).

There is single best way of performing urine cultures.

Urinary cultures can be negative due to a number of factors such as,
- fastidious or slow-growing uropathogens(Haemophilus influenzae and H. parainfluenzae and others),
- anerobic bacteria(if anerobic cultures are not specifically performed),
- unknown/uncommon bacteria,
- false negative cultures(type of culture medium used),
- interpretation by strict application of the Kass's cutoff value(>100,000 cfu/ml)for culture positivity,
- prior antibiotic therapy,
- obstruction to the flow of grossly infected urine,and
- at times, the intermittent discharge of bacteria from the upper UTIs.

At this point, i would prefer that you visit the following links for additional information on what is a "comprehensive" STD testing and sites to be tested.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=46954&hilit=+comprehensive+UTI
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=46560

I hope in your case, the STDs were ruled out comprehensively.

Although more than 90% of UTIs in the general population are caused by a single bacterial species, true polymicrobial infections are very likely in patients with underlying structural abnormalities, chronic indwelling catheters,
immunocompromised individuals or prolonged immunosuppressive therapy.

I feel that under these circumstances,it will be better to repeat the urinary culture and to undergo a repeat STD screen if you think that the first one was not comprehensive enough. It is important to have a urological opinion as well.