Question: Using intermittent catheterisation after cystocele repair

pipsmum - Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:34 pm

Following my third prolapse in 14 months, (1 intussusception, 1 posteriod and last one anterior), five weeks ago, I still cannot void unaided. Post surgery, I left hospital with an indwelling catheter and after two failed trials without catheter, moved over to the intermittent self catheterising.

Although the situation is improving - today I managed 100 ml with 210 residual, I am concerned that I will not become completely catheter free. Prior to this last surgery, I had mixed incontinence for a spell. I also had a spell where I used a catheter each evening to make sure my bladder was emptied completely. After the insertion of a ring pessary (before the anterior repair), I could urinate fully. Prior to the intussusception surgery, I had to use anal irrigation for several months. That became redundant after the rectopexy.

Interestingly, I still have some urinary incontinence, so am using continence products. I had complete hysterectomy five years ago, and have been using both oestrogen hrt and topical oestregon to help the weak pelvic floor.

Do you have any exprience of this scenario, and can you suggest any treatments? I see my uro-gynaecologist in August.
 pipsmum - Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:41 am

Since my last post, I have finished a course of antibiotics, and started passing more urine by myself. Just catheterising two or three times a day for residue.

This morning I was in pain in the pubic area, and suffered horrible bladder spasms. On taking a sample of almost pink urine to my GP, I was told there was blood and protein in it. I do not have diabetes. I'm now starting my third course of antibiotic in 5 weeks - this one being Trimethoprim 200 mgs bd.

Any ideas?

Pipsmum