Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: frenulum restricting cure of foreskin infection

yinfection - Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:39 pm

About a month and a half ago, I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend. I noticed that my foreskin had been pushed down over half of my erect penis after we finished (this had never happened before). A few days later she noticed some itching, and said she might have a yeast infection.
A few days after that, I noticed some itching. I went to the doctor, pulled down my foreskin, and saw white discharge, so he assumed I had a yeast infection. I was told to apply over-the-counter miconazole cream from the grocery store, and was given keflex pills for an apparent additional bacterial infection.
This didn’t really work however, and I was then given diflucan. This also didn’t work.
I went to a urologist who simply recommended that I clean the area better and air it out with a hair drier. He also prescribed me lotrisone to apply twice daily.

The thing is, I don’t even know if I’m getting far enough down to apply it. I can only pull my foreskin back about 1 or 2 cm past the head of my penis, as the frenulum restricts it. This confuses me, as I definitely saw my foreskin much much farther past my head on the day that I believe I contracted the yeast infection. What happened with my frenulum when that happened? How did my foreskin get so far back? I believe that the yeast infection is on the penis close to my pelvic bone, the part that I cannot reach.
I’m trying to figure out a way to cure this without getting circumcised. Any help is appreciated.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:29 am

It is quite possible that you had a relatively long "frenulum preputii penis"(frenulum) to begin with and perhaps it got injured(traction iniury) during sexual activity and then contracted during healing, to appear relatively short presently. This is the most plausible explanation that i can think of. It is possible that the frenulum was not actually severed(as you would have surely noticed fairly profuse bleeding).

A tiny blood vessel(the frenular artery) passes via the frenulum. This might have thrombosed as a result of the traction injury and caused the contraction in the course of healing. At this stage, it may not be advisable to stretch the frenulum any more as it may result in increasing fibrosis and worsening of the contraction.

I hope you have got a comprehensive STD testing done. The manoeuvre of retraction and application of the topical creme is better done in consultation with your regular doctor who will be able to guide you better.In the future, if the short frenulum should cause difficulties,it may be treated with local steroid applications or by surgery (frenuloplasty).