Question: Tenderness/Pain in Testicle

ol80 - Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:28 pm

I was doing a self-examination regarding a cyst on my testicle. There was another lump around the cord that a urologist told me a couple years ago was not a problem. I searched for it and compared it to another cyst on the same testicle, finding that the other cyst was harder. After this exam, my testicle was very sore for the rest of the day, and somewhat less sore the following day (it hadn't been this way prior to the self-exam). I had an ultrasound done the next week and the cyst was not considered a problem. However, my testicle continued to be tender in the area around the cord. This Friday will be two weeks since that self-exam and I am still dealing with tenderness, though I will barely notice it for most of a day sometimes unless I touch the testicle a certain way. A couple days ago, I walked around for a good hour and did some very light running. At some point later that day, while I was walking, my testicle began to ache considerably. This subsided when I sat down, though the tenderness was more apparent the rest of the day. Could this be scar tissue from damage from the self-exam causing pain? Or fluid still remaining? Should I see a urologist or let it heal? Sometimes I feel the pain up into my abdomen, but generally it stays in the testicle. Again, there are days where I feel very little tenderness.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:18 am

Examination of the scrotal contents is something of an art, perfected by clinicians over many years. It is performed in a purposeful, methodical, gentle and expert fashion such that it causes least pain but extracts the maximum information. Performed in an amateurish, protracted, and clumsy fashion, it is more than likely to cause pain and tenderness.

It is possible that the swelling in the spermatic cord is an hydrocele of the spermatic cord, which usually does not cause any serious concern.The 'cyst' near the testis could be a Morgagni's cyst (The appendix of the testis)- developmentally, a remnant of the müllerian duct.

The cause for the pain and tenderness in your case must be ideally assessed by your doctor. If you discontinue your 'self examinations', that in itself is very likely to speed up the recovery.