Question: blood in urine due to fasting?

isthedrin - Tue May 17, 2005 7:21 pm

Today I received screening lab report results that had five areas flagged as abnormal:
1. Blood in urine (1+)
2. Ketones in urine (1+)
3. Proteins in urine (15 mg/dL)
4. Elevated HCT (48.5%)
5. Decreased monocytes (3.0)
The nurse said that as long as I don't have symptoms of a urinary tract infection these results are problably due to having fasted 8 hours before the blood/urine test. Are all these results "normal" for a fast? I thought the test reference ranges took into account fasting as it is required. Would any kind of follow up be needed?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue May 17, 2005 7:44 pm

User avatar Ketones can be elevated from the fast, but blood isn't. If you are female, were you on your period, even wearing a tampon? Sometimes, blood in the urine can be nonspecific, obviously the leukocytes weren't elevated on the dipstick test, so a urinary tract infection is unlikely. Don't worry about it, I have seen this frequently.

Proteins can even be from working out, a 1+ is nothing to worry about.

Slight elevations of cells aren't anything to be alarmed about, either. They don't mean anything unless more severe and with other abnormalities.

Also, the doctor reviewed your results before you spoke to the nurse. It would be illegal for a nurse to give you results without the doctor's instruction first. :D
 isthedrin - Tue May 17, 2005 7:51 pm

Thanks for the info. No I wasn't on my period or wearing a tampon so I guess the blood was nonspecific.