Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: hearts when urinating

 tamir - Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:58 pm

I have a pain in the edge of my penis when I urinate. can somebody explain me what i have?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:43 am

User avatar Pain on urination is usually caused by an infection in your urethra (the water passage that your urine comes out of). Often this infection will be cause by a bacterium (germ) called chlamydia. Chlamydia is caught by having unprotected sex with someone who has a chlamydial infection. Chlamydia is very common in young people. Some estimates are that one in ten, or one in five, young people is infected. Many people don't know that they have an infection because they have no symptoms. Chlamydia can be a serious infection (it can also cause infertility). The good news is that it is easy for a sexual health doctor to test you for a chlamydial infection and it can be easily treated completely with antibiotics.

Other causes include:

Non-specific urethritis (NSU): a bacterial infection, which is caught by having sex with someone who is infectious.
Gonorrhoea: a bacterial infection, which is caught by having sex with an infected partner.
Genital herpes: a virus infection, which is caught by having sex or close genital contact with someone who is infectious.
Trichomonas vaginalis (TV): a protozoan infection, which is caught by having sex with someone who is infectious.
Bladder infection (cystitis): usually a bacterial infection, but this is quite uncommon in boys/men.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us