Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: throbbing kidneys

kryp71k - Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:24 pm

I'm a 26 year old student. Not everyday, but quite often, when I wake up in the morning (and it's only when I wake up) My kidneys throb with pain for anywhere from 30 seconds to 20 minutes. I went to a doctor not long ago and he gave me a full examination. Even did the latex glove thing (whatever that has to do with my kidneys) Hey took a urine sample and utrasound. He just shrugged his shoulders and said "You're perfectly healthy, just get more exercise" ...
Ok, I exercise everyday .. it still happens and now it's getting even worse.
Any speculations as to what it is? I've had it since I was like 18 years old.
 Najah - Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:12 am

consult your doctor for rechecking and if your kidneys are normal ,other causes may be responsible like muscular or spinal causes.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:44 am

User avatar Hi kryp71k,
In reality kidneys do not throb.What you are feeling is spasmodic pain in your lumbar region(renal angles) which is throbbing in nature- causing you to believe that your kidneys are throbbing.
Pain in that area can be multifactorial.Some causes are listed below...
- renal pain
- musculo-skeletal pain(sprains/strains/spondylosis)
- referred pain from pelvic organs.
Therefore, in the event that the pain should continue, one should first exclude a renal cause(stones/UTI) or a pelvic cause, and then proceed to look for a musculo-skeletal cause.