Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Driving me mad

 IcantSleep - Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:38 pm

I had unprotected sex late april and developed a stinging penis tip which was also irritated (meatitis?) burning pee and the need to urinate frequently. Anyway I went to a GUM clinic and they gave me anti biotics (doxycycline) and i thought everything was fine, my results of the urine sample (may 19th) were all negative, but there was an infection detected initially so they said I had NSU and to finish my course.

I did this and all seemed well until about two weeks ago, I started having sleepless nights because I'd get up to urinate a bit would come out, the moment I got back into bed I'd feel a strong desire to go again, that cycle would continue all night.

I went back for a chat (not a retest) they quickly examined me again as I also had mild thrush symptoms (possibly caused by anti biotics?) which seem to have gone using canesten - and they said to give it a couple of weeks.

Here I am again, I'm in work in literally 4 hours and I'm sitting here awake because of this crap the only thing that would ease it last week was extreme tiredness or cranberry liquid mixed with water (but this is only advised to take for 2 days, so i stopped today and look what happens)

So basically I've been to the clinic twice and I still have this annoying issue, would my GP be able to take a urine sample or give me some more anti biotics to finish it off? Going to the clinic a third time is not my idea of fun.

btw I'm 21, male and haven't had sex since.

please help!
 Kim C, RN - Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:14 pm

WOW, how miserable! I'm sorry you're so uncomfortable.

I'd suggest a return visit. It sounds as though your UTI might be unresolved. They should collect more urine for another culture; you may have a resistant bug. I want to ask, did they do cultures for STDs?? If not, I'd request that as well.

Meanwhile, drink lots of fluids and take a pain reliever/anti-infammatory such as Advil.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. :)
 IcantSleep - Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:29 pm

Not sure what you mean by cultures, they did all the STI checks (including swabs and urine sample)

Do you think my local doctor (GP) could help, or do I have to use the clinic?

I'm in the UK
 Kim C, RN - Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:59 pm

I guess I should have clarified. I meant that, in addition to having tests for STD's, that maybe your urine should be cultured as well. If you have a UTI that is caused by a bacteria that is resistant to antibiotics, then it would be nice to know what this bug is!! Hence the culture. Sorry for the confusion.

I would think that your GP could absolutely help you. Make that appointment!! Keep going back until you feel better. He/she will also have a better idea about what to do regarding a urine culture and whether it is truly needed.

Good luck and I hope you're feeling some better... :D

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us