Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: urinary tract infections

andrea.cathey - Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:10 am

Dear Doctor, About a month ago I obtained a UTI. I tried to take care of it on my own by drinking lots of liquids and taking OTC AZO. Eventually it became more painful and I went to a nearby clinic. I was prescribed macrobid for Seven days. It seemed to clear it up. I had never had a UTI before so I assumed it was probably from having sex. I was a virgin and my partner had slept with two other females. The reason I am writing to you is that I feel another UTI coming on and I really don't want to have to take more antiobiotics and I would also like to know how it can be prevented. I ahve been drinking lots of liquids. It is not as bad as the other one. Do you have any more suggestions on what I can do to nip this in the bud and could it be STD related even though my partner has been tested for STD's? :!: It is just frustrating me becuase it is uncomfortable and I am normally a very healthy person. Thankyou so much for your time and I look forward to hearing from you. Andrea
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:42 pm

User avatar You will need to get antibiotic treatment for this UTI as well; there is nothing over the counter or natural that will kill the bacteria, so don't wait.

In the future, to avoid UTIs altogether, make sure you wash the vagina and anal area well with an antibacterial soap after sex and urinate if possible; just urinating usually isn't enough.

Treat this one completely (take all the antibiotics or it will come back), and this should prevent more. :D