Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: urinary tract infections

andrea.cathey - Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:10 am

Dear Doctor, About a month ago I obtained a UTI. I tried to take care of it on my own by drinking lots of liquids and taking OTC AZO. Eventually it became more painful and I went to a nearby clinic. I was prescribed macrobid for Seven days. It seemed to clear it up. I had never had a UTI before so I assumed it was probably from having sex. I was a virgin and my partner had slept with two other females. The reason I am writing to you is that I feel another UTI coming on and I really don't want to have to take more antiobiotics and I would also like to know how it can be prevented. I ahve been drinking lots of liquids. It is not as bad as the other one. Do you have any more suggestions on what I can do to nip this in the bud and could it be STD related even though my partner has been tested for STD's? :!: It is just frustrating me becuase it is uncomfortable and I am normally a very healthy person. Thankyou so much for your time and I look forward to hearing from you. Andrea
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:42 pm

User avatar You will need to get antibiotic treatment for this UTI as well; there is nothing over the counter or natural that will kill the bacteria, so don't wait.

In the future, to avoid UTIs altogether, make sure you wash the vagina and anal area well with an antibacterial soap after sex and urinate if possible; just urinating usually isn't enough.

Treat this one completely (take all the antibiotics or it will come back), and this should prevent more. :D

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us