Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Pain in genital area and slight abdomen pain

 shane25 - Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:03 pm

Hi I have a question. This pertains to my wife. About two days ago she was complaining of pain between her vaginal opening and her anus which I believe is the perineum. Yesterday it started to swell in that area and has been causing her pain. She seems fine when shes walking around but seems worse after sitting for awhile. It is very tender to the touch. I have helped her examine it but can't seem to figure out what it might be. At first was thinking of hemorrhoids or hernia but I'm not real sure so if you have any idea what might be causing this or what it might be it would be greatly appreciated. She has also complained today that it hurts when she goes to the bathroom and some stomach discomfort too but she thinks the stomach discomfort might be because of her period being due in about 7 days. Please help. Thanks again.

 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:03 am

User avatar Shane,
There are many causes of perineal pain,

    Hernia as you mentioned which occurs when the local support tissues weaken, allowing loops of the bowel to slip from the abdomen into the groin. It usually, but not always, seen as a bulge when standing upright, coughing, or bearing down.
    Enlarged lymph glands
    Kidney stone
    Vulvovaginitis which is an infection of the vulva and/ or vagina leading to pain mainly.
    Superficial skin infection
    Skin nodules
    Pelvic tumors

It would be hard to tell without an examination. I advise you to take her to her gynecologist for a checkup.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us