Question: varicocele (ultrasonography question?)

mx3frik - Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:50 am

I am a 22 year old male. For about a month I have had this heaviness (and sometimes a dull pain) feeling in my left testicle. The veins feel swollen and the "bag of worms" appereance is evidence. To me that sounds every bit like varicocele. When I showed it to my doctor he felt something too and ordered an ultrasound to confirm. However ultrasound came back showing everything to be normal.

My question is would it have mattered if the ultrasound was performed with me lying down? I have read at a few places that ultrasound taken for varicocele is usually done with the patient standing so the collection of the fluid is detected easier.

Also roughly around the same time my sex drive had taken a dive. Would it be possible for varicocele to have a impact on the sex drive? It did return almost fully when the doctor prescribed anti-inflamatory (apo-neproxin) for a week and went away a couple days after I'm off the medication.

Thank you very much for any help provided in advance!

frik
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:19 am

User avatar Hi mx3frik,
In the case of smaller varicoceles the recommended position for examination is standing up because the the varicocele is more prominent in this position. Any testicular inflammation may cause a decrease in sex drive.
 mx3frik - Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:36 pm

thank you very much for your reply. it's really comforting to hear someone with knowledge to help. upto now the doctor is convinced there is no problem with me based on an ultrasound performed with me lying down and thinks the sex-drive thing is purely psychological.

i have an appointment next week where I will be trying to get a referral to an urologist.

thank you very much again.

eugene