Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Beginning of kidney problems?

 caddy - Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:43 pm

In mid May 2005, I started having pain in my back - right side. I also hurt in my abdomen. I would feel pain on the right side of my abdomen when I would walk and sit down. About two days after my back started hurting, I awoke feeling very shakey and woozy. Like I might pass out. I than got quite nauseated, but never got sick. I went to the doctor and my UA showed a trace of protein, no blood. They did a blood test and my white count was ok. She thought I had a UTI and the urethers were infected. She gave me an antibiodic and within a couple of days I felt better. About 4 weeks later the same thing happened. I went back to the doctor ( I had to see a different one as mine was out of the office). My UA showed a trace of protein and a slide showed some bacteria. He sent in for a culture, but my test got lost. He felt around and said that my right kidney was definitely tender. He gave me an antibiodic and again I started feeling better. Last Sunday it started all over again. I was feeling really shakey, nauseated and the pain. I took 5 days worth of Cipro and again feel better. I have an appointment with a Urologist Thursday, but this is really scaring me. Oh, this past week she did think that she felt a mass so I had a pelvic CAT but it was ok. What do you think?

 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:32 pm

I hope you have given the correct information. Was it a pelvic CT scan that was done or an abdominal CT scan? If the kidneys were being investigated, a pelvic CT scan would not show the kidneys because they are not located in the pelvis. The kidneys are situated higher up, at the back of the abdomen, below the diaphragm, one on each side of the spine.

If your symptoms are located on the right side of the upper abdomen, a more appropriate first line investigation would be an abdominal ultrasound, which would include a renal ultrasound and an ultrasound of the liver and gallbladder. The renal ultrasound is an imaging procedure for investigating the kidneys, ureters and urinary bladder.

Get to see the urologist as planned and do not be scared.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 caddy - Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:08 am

Thank you so much for your quick reply. Yes, it was a pelvic CT scan. She thought she had felt a mass lower in the abdomen - and I did have some tenderness there, also. But when I am having the other symptoms, the pain is higher up.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:53 pm

Please keep the appointment with the urologist. He will arrange the necessary investigations for your complaints, one of which will surely be an abdominal ultrasound (or CT scan). Kindly keep our message board updated with the results.

Dr Anthony Solomon

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us