Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Testicular Discomfort

 mtpeters - Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:06 pm

For about a week or so, I've been having periodic slight discomfort in my left testicle. It comes and goes, and oddly enough, usually only occurs in the morning. It's definitely not severe pain, so I've been assuming that it's not torsion. In addition, it seems to resolve when I'm standing. I was treated for a genital wart last week, and wonder if that has anything to do with it. I'm scheduled for an annual physical next week and was planning on having it looked at then. I'm curious, however, as to whether it might need more immediate attention. In case this information is relevant, I haven't been sexually active in the past six months.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:22 pm

The presence of one sexually transmitted disease raises the possibility of another. The treatment of your genital wart should have been accompanied by screening for other STDs.

A common cause of testicular pain is epididymitis which may be sexually or non-sexually transmitted. Nonsexually transmitted epididymitis is associated more frequently with urinary tract infections in men aged over 35 years or men who have recently undergone urinary tract surgery or have anatomical abnormalities of the urinary tract.
Sexually transmitted epididymitis among sexually active men less than 35 years of age is most often caused by chlamydia or gonorrhoea.

If testicular pain becomes severe, you must see a doctor urgently to exclude torsion, testicular infarction or abscess.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 mtpeters - Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:47 pm

Thank you for the reply. My only concern is that It's been a very long time since I was last sexually active, and the diseases associated with testicular discomfort (chlamydia and gonorrhea) generally manifest somewhat shortly after sexual contact with an infected person, correct? I was under the impression that genital warts has a much longer latency period, ranging from several weeks to several years, which is why I only learned of this condition recently. Nevertheless, I definitely do not live a "high-risk" lifestyle (as evidenced from my lack of recent sexual activity, unprotected or otherwise). That's why I was ruling out other STDs as a possible cause. Is my reasoning incorrect? Thanks again, it was very helpful.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:10 am

Non-gonococcal urethritis caused by chlamydia, ureaplasma and mycoplasma can be asymptomatic in many infected persons, appearing as a complication later on in untreated cases. In particular, epididymitis is a well-known complication of chlamydial urethritis. You lose nothing by getting an STD screen, even if all tests are negative.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us