Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: UTI

sensical - Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:56 pm

I am a 29 year old female. I am a single mother of two but have been in a commited relationship for almost two years. I noticed the week of July 4th when I would urinate as my urine was coming out it didn't feel normal. My partner and I had more intercourse than usual that weekend so I had chalked it up to that. At first I thought I might be on the verge of a yeast infection. There was no pain or discomfort but it still didn't feel right. The feeling went away towards the end of the week. During the week and every other weekend all I drink is water. On the weekends my kids aren't with me, my fiancee and I have a few beers through out the weekend. I usually consume at least 6-8 glasses of water a day except for the weekends I don't have the kids. Just this past Thursday 7/14 there was a definite difference that night. I met a friend for happy hour and I had two beers. I also had a diet coke that evening. Later that night I noticed an uncomforable ache in my lower abdoman which radiated to my lower back as well. I also had the feeling of needing to urinate frequently. I took ibuprofin and then went to bed. Friday morning I woke up with the same achy feeling in my lower abdoman and back as well. I also felt as if I needed to urinate frequently. I did some research on UTI's that morning and followed the advice of drinking plenty of water. I did this and I also took some ibuprofin for the pain. I noticed by evening time all my symptoms were gone. That night I had a few beers and I noticed the pain in my lower abdomen came back along with the same pain in my back only this time it was worse. I also noticed that night if I pressed down on the right side of my abdoment it hurt. I researched further into UTI's and figured the reason I was suffering so badly was due to the alcohol. I stopped drinking the beer and went back to the water. The pain however was intense, especially in my back. I noticed the pain in my back at first seemed to be on both sides but then it seemed to settle on the lower left hand side. I did take some ibuprofin and went to bed. Of course I woke up more than 5 times in the middle of the night to urinate and each time I was up I drank water. The next morning I felt better but the need to urinate frequently was still there. I also have noticed I am extremely tired. I noticed when I slacked up on the water the ache would come back. Today is now Sunday. I took a UTI test this morning and it came back positive on the nitrate and protien level. I haven't noticed anymore of the pain today except for this afternoon and it seemed to be concentrated on the right side of my lower back. I thought perhaps it was because of the way I was laying so I changed postions several times which did help to alleviate the pain. I feel fine now other than the fact that I have felt exhausted all day and I know that I shouldn't since I slept in very late this morning and did nothing but lay on the couch and watch movies. I'm not sure if I should go see my Dr now that the symptoms seem to have resided. Any suggestions?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:36 am

You have given a very good history of your complaints but one aspect is missing. Was a culture done after the findings of nitrite and protein in the urine and are you expecting to go back for treatment when the results of culture and sensitivity are known?

Meanwhile, the following post may be helpful:
https://www.doctorslounge.com/forums/vie ... highlight=

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 sensical - Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:28 am

Dr. Solomon thank you so much for a quick reply. I did forget to mention the test that I took was purchased at my local pharmacy and done at home. So I can say a culture has not been done at this point. I was not sure if I should go in however I'm thinking perhaps it's better to be safe than sorry. I did another at home test this morning and the result this time was a negative nitrate and a positive protien reading. I'm still very tired also. I've noticed this morning also my lower abdomen is aching again. What I'm not sure of who to see is my family practitioner or my obgyn.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:55 am

The combination of frequency of urination, lower abdominal pain, and bacteria in the urine confirmed by a positive nitrite test, are all suggestive of cystitis which is a lower urinary tract infection. Get a urine culture done under any of your two doctors who can see you sooner and ensure that you collect a clean catch, mid-stream specimen of early morning urine to prevent false positive results. Obtain instructions from the doctor or nurse on how to collect a good sample.

Your doctor may want to place you on a course of antibiotics for relief of symptoms pending culture results.

Another condition to consider in a sexually active young female with lower abdominal pain and no urinary symptoms is pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). For this, your ob/gyn is the appropriate specialist.

Dr Anthony Solomon