Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Renal Cyst & Size

 BrianS - Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:28 pm

Hello all, my first post here. I am so glad to have found this forum.

OK so here goes, hopefully someone can give me some guidance.

I am a 37 year old male in good health up until this past year.
Over the last year I have lost roughly 40 lbs -- I started at 5'8" & 185 and now weigh 145. I have had a chronic discomfort in my back to right side below my last rib. In addition to fatigue I experience periodic nights waking up sweaty and have had fevers on and off. I have no family history of High Blood Pressure and have had excellent blood pressure my entire life. For the last 7 months I have been on high blood pressure medication after it was found that my blood pressure was averaging 170/110 -- after a variety of dose adjustments I have my blood pressure under control at around 125/90.

I smoke and have done so a pack a day the last 18 years. During a bad case of Brhonchitis I was sent in for a chest x-Ray to rule out pneumonia. On the x-Ray they found a nodule about the size of an acorn so a CT was added the next week. The non-contrast CT turned up some long name for the lump in my lung that in short equals just something to keep an eye on.
What came as a surprise was an 11cm x 15cm cyst in my right kidney at -4HU. I could not get an appointment with a urologist until Aug 10th but between now and then he wants me to do a renal scan with and without contrast.

After learning of this my wife and I did the next worst thing, we started to google for more information.I came across many reports that indicate in cases such as this doctors tend to leave the Cysts in as opposed to removal.

I have a high degree of confidence (always trust your own intuition) that this is nothing more than a speed bump in my late thirties and that once cleaned up the high blood pressure, pain/discomfort and fatigue will both go away. Heck I may even put weight back on.

[A little later] There is one other symptom (if you can call it that) which my wife just reminded me of after I complained about it my last time in the bathroom -- every other day and sometimes every day while urinating I have a white/gray thick discharge after the urine. There is no pain, just the discharge which to me looks like semen. This has been going on the last three months or so. I brought it up with my doctor and he suspected I might be dehydrated and in need of fluids. I have been drinking bottles of Propel the last two months and have seen no change. I don't know if this is related to any of the above but thought I should make mention of it since it is fairly new.

Any opinions, suggestions, recommendations, hostorical knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Have a good day.

 TropicalJoe - Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:03 pm

Recently advised of ulcer cancer stage 1b. The only medication I take is Prilosec. No other problems, am 82 years old.
Had 5% of my kidney removed due to cancer. Exactly 1 Year ago.
What are my options ??[/list]
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:09 am

User avatar Hi,
Retrograde ejaculation is a strong possibility.
Firstly i would like to tell you that the renal cyst that you have most likely has no relationship to the quoted urinary problem.
There are many known causes for retrograde ejaculation [ex. Diabetes mellitus, post prostatectomy(TURP), retroperitoneal lymph node dissections,certain drugs(antidepressant and antipsychotic medications) etc].
You should mention this problem to your urologist, who will then be able to guide you.Cheers!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us