Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: whats wrong with me?

 louise72 - Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:21 am

for about a week now, i have constantly had the need to urinate, even though when i go to the toilet nothin happens. i constantly have a tingling feeling, and when i go to pee it becomes worse and burns a litte. last night there was a bit of blood in my pee, what is wrong with me? should i go to the dr?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:52 am

Frequency (the need to urinate more frequently), dysuria (pain or burning while micturating) and haematuria (blood in urine) are common symptoms of lower urinary tract infection.

Yes, it is advisable to consult your doctor for tests to determine localisation of infection in the urinary tract and to initiate treatment. Women are more susceptible to UTI because the female urethra is short and lies in close proximity to the vaginal and anal openings, facilitating the transfer of vaginal and bowel organisms to the bladder.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 louise72 - Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:07 am

i was advised it may be dehydration causing this problem, and found after drinking 2 litres of water a day, my problem is beginning to disappear. should i still get cehcked out, just incase?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:10 pm

No, dehydration will not cause symptoms of urinary tract infection. However, drinking 2 litres of water daily will ease the discomfort associated with UTI but not necessarily eliminate an infective focus in the tract.

Blood in the urine must be investigated to determine its cause, as there can be other causes apart from UTI. Sexually transmitted urethritis can mimic the signs of UTI. Also, vulvar dysuria can mimic UTI, because the urine burns when it comes in contact with an inflamed vulva.

Nothing is lost by getting tested - but reassurance is gained by negative findings.

Reading this post may be helpful : ... hp?p=12229

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:26 pm

User avatar dehydration is not a cause for urinary tract infection, however, it is important to drink 6-8 glasses of water every day to help flush the kidneys. as you know , kidneys play a major role, of getting rid of wastes, among the urine.
dehydration is therefore, not directly the cause, but a risk factor for urinary tract infections. However, it is well known that women because of their shoert urethras, are more prone to UTIs when compared to men.
Besides drinking water, fluids in general, especially grape fruit juice has been shown to be effective in urinary tract infections in addition to the propper antibiotic.
it is very important to check with your physician, when symptoms of burning, blood in urine, urgency to urinate, fever, and flank pain, as they may indicate urinary tract infections.
 louise72 - Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:27 am

thank you very much for ur helpful advice. i have made an appointment with the doctor for friday, can u tell me what process the doctor will use to examine me?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:50 pm

Preliminary tests are non-invasive and will involve urine analysis and culture tests. Further investigations will depend on initial findings. The nurse or doctor will instruct you on the correct procedure for collecting a urine specimen.

If there is a risk factor for STD, inform your GP so that you are referred to what is known in the UK as a Genitourinary Clinic.

Dr Anthony Solomon

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us