Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Chronic UTI...Relationship in jeopardy

Bogart57 - Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:21 pm

Me; 48 male / healthy
She: 53 female post-menopausal / healthy / estrogen supplement: PREMPRO

We have been dating exclusively for over a year, getting together once or twice a month. Ours is energetic yet normal sexual behavior, with nothing practiced to promote an infection. She develops a UTI about 90% of the time, 10-12 times a year. She does the suggested preventive measures; cleansing, urinating afterwards, water consumption, etc. In her entire life, I am the only partner with which a UTI has occured. A dosage of MACRODANTIN cures the infection but includes nausea. No lubricants or condoms are involved. She is becoming depressed that our relationship is doomed because of these incessant UTI attacks. There can't be a lifetime of antibiotics and pain ahead for her. We have even eliminated sexual positions in hopes of prevention. HELP!
Since we see each other about once a month, could this be a case of "honeymoon" infection? Any ideas?????
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:17 pm

User avatar Hi Bogart57,
Cystitis occurs due to irritation of the urethra during intercourse. There are three things I can suggest to you for her:
1.Kegel exercises so the pelvic muscles are more controllable during intercourse and can be relaxed so the vagina doesn't grip the penis quite so hard during insertion (which commonly causes irritation.)
2. Have her drink cranberry juice prior to and after your visit.
3. Foreplay, as well as using a water based lubricant such as K -Y Jelly.
I hope this is helpful.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us