Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Bladder Infection?

Angel29 - Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:56 pm

Hi, Just wondering if anyone could help me here. I have had bladder infections my whole life. Its been about 1 years since the last one. About 2 months ago I was helping my boyfriend lift heavy things. My lower "flank" area of my back started to hurt. The pain seem to get worse and worse, only to eventually make me trow up a few times. I went to the doc and he did a urine test, which he said showed no kidney infection (a precaution due to symptoms) but there was red cells in it. So he perscribed an antibiotic. So the pain remainded the following 2 months till about 3 days ago. I woke up and used the washroom. It was find until teh last few drops and it stareted to hurt!! Bladder infection. The next 3 days till I could get into the docs office was the usual pain after pee, frequent need to pee and not peeing when feeling like I have to. I went to the doc and he tested the pee again and said no infection but there were red and white cells this time and again antibiotics. The pain in my back is not getting any better and is starting to be a very big annoyance. I should also mention that he sent my urine for a kidney culture and it came back find, the "correct" level of bacteria was presnet. Could someone help me???
 Ice_Queen14 - Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:15 pm

I found out I'm having the same problem; It scared me a little, and I kept getting hysterical after no one could help; I tried to see if the nurse was there, but...she wasn't. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, so...Anyway, does it have occassional itching too?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:17 am

User avatar Hi Angel29,
Having gone through your history,firstly let me offer a few general comments...
- Not all pains in the loins mean UTI.
- Not all urinary symptoms mean UTI
- a 'suspected' UTI only becomes UTI if a urinary culture is positive.
- 'cystitis' and UTI are not one and the same.
- red blood cells in the urine sometimes are contaminants from the vagina(ex. menstrual blood)
- all urinary complaints should be taken seriously and investigated.

Having said that ,your loin pain which started while lifting a heavy object tends to suggest a pain due to a muscle strain/sprain or of spinal origin.This possibility should be kept in mind.Good luck!