Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Variable PSA levels.

cma - Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:57 pm

My PSA has moved from 2.6 in 2003 to 4.7 in 12/04, dropping back to 3.2 in 1/05 after I gave up bicycle riding; then 4.0 in 8/05.
I am 62 and in good health and have no symptoms of prostate cancer, though I have had an slightly enlarged prostate for several years.
My older brother, physically similar, had a similar jump in PSA from 2.1 to 3.5 at age 59-61, but then his PSA dropped back to stay in the range of 3.2-3.5.
If my PSA stays in this range of say 3.5-4.3 is it necessary for me to take the extreme risk of a biopsy. I have had 4 PSA tests in the last 9 months.
Thanks, CMA
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:50 am

User avatar Hi cma,
Persistent increases in PSA levels, generally speaking, warrant a biopsy. Otherwise, lab tests are periodically repeated to assure there are very minimal changes. Prostate enlargement may also be responsible for discrete changes in these levels.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us