Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Variable PSA levels.

cma - Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:57 pm

My PSA has moved from 2.6 in 2003 to 4.7 in 12/04, dropping back to 3.2 in 1/05 after I gave up bicycle riding; then 4.0 in 8/05.
I am 62 and in good health and have no symptoms of prostate cancer, though I have had an slightly enlarged prostate for several years.
My older brother, physically similar, had a similar jump in PSA from 2.1 to 3.5 at age 59-61, but then his PSA dropped back to stay in the range of 3.2-3.5.
If my PSA stays in this range of say 3.5-4.3 is it necessary for me to take the extreme risk of a biopsy. I have had 4 PSA tests in the last 9 months.
Thanks, CMA
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:50 am

User avatar Hi cma,
Persistent increases in PSA levels, generally speaking, warrant a biopsy. Otherwise, lab tests are periodically repeated to assure there are very minimal changes. Prostate enlargement may also be responsible for discrete changes in these levels.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us