Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Recurrent UTIs

skollsm - Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:09 pm

I had a few UTIs as a child ( I am now 24), but the last few years I seem to get one on an average of every 3-6 months. I have taken the 10 week course of antibiotics to stop having them. One month after treatment, I had another UTI. I have been with the same partner for over a year and have sex regularly. I drink tons of water, empty my bladder after intercourse, and go to the bathroom every time I have the urge - which is often. I rarely have been able to sleep through the night without going to the restroom (this has been the case since I can remember). I have been told multiple things by multiple doctors. I was told that the UTIs were caused by sex. Then, another doctor told me that was only the case if I didn't have sex on a regular basis - which I do. I was also told that some women just get them and to take one macrodantin each time I have sex. Another doctor told me that it could just mask the real problem to do this. I am getting confused and would like to know what I can do to end the misery.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:22 pm

User avatar Dear
UTIs are more frequent generally in women because they have shorter urethra when compared to men.
you have taken many good means of preventing them, like always drinking water or fluids, urinating after intercourse, and good cleaning habits.

many times UTI s can RE occure if a patient fails to finish the full course of antibiotics, however you also mentioned that you finish your antibiotics all the time.

i believe that this what is known by honey moon cystitis, where women have frequent UTI after sexual intercourse. the treatment for this is simply prophylaxis: a way to prevent them from happening, by taking an antibiotic after each sexual intercourse.

you can always talk to your doctor about it, he/she might want to do x ray /scan of the kidney to see whether you have kidney stones, or any cause of obstruction that is causing them, if the above prophylaxis does not work.

take care of your self, and i always hope that you feel better.
thank you