Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Low testosterone I'm 20 I'm worried

Drag30545 - Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:01 am

Hello,
I just went to the doctor to get a general checkup. I also asked him to check my testosterone levels. When the results came back this is what they said:

Testosterone, Total 237.3 ng/dL
Testosterone, Free 6.2 pg/mL

Now I obviously have no idea what this means, so my doctor explained to me that my testosterone levels were low. Now I am a 20 year old male, Latin(Cuban), physically fit( I weight lift 4 times a week, 150 lbs. on a 5'9" frame. Regular body structure, no feminine qualities, so everything seems fine on the outside.
When I was around 12 years old I had an undescended <---I don't know if that is spelled correctly, but it sounds like what the doctor said, testicle (the right one) which was brought down by surgery.
On the inside I have an incredible sexual drive, no erectile problems, in fact is is very easy for me to get aroused.
So I am "stuck", should I worry, I have no medical background so I know not where I stand? What can be the cause of this and what can be done?
My doctor recommended Testosterone Shots, but I am not sure whether I want to do that, are there any consequences to that?
As much info as possible is appreciated. Thank You!!
 dsjeya - Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:51 am

repeat the test in another lab,after taking vitamin E 400 m.g for a month
 Drag30545 - Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:19 pm

Yes I will do just that, I am going to go take the test in another lab, and see if there are any differences.
Thanks

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us