Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Low testosterone I'm 20 I'm worried

Drag30545 - Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:01 am

Hello,
I just went to the doctor to get a general checkup. I also asked him to check my testosterone levels. When the results came back this is what they said:

Testosterone, Total 237.3 ng/dL
Testosterone, Free 6.2 pg/mL

Now I obviously have no idea what this means, so my doctor explained to me that my testosterone levels were low. Now I am a 20 year old male, Latin(Cuban), physically fit( I weight lift 4 times a week, 150 lbs. on a 5'9" frame. Regular body structure, no feminine qualities, so everything seems fine on the outside.
When I was around 12 years old I had an undescended <---I don't know if that is spelled correctly, but it sounds like what the doctor said, testicle (the right one) which was brought down by surgery.
On the inside I have an incredible sexual drive, no erectile problems, in fact is is very easy for me to get aroused.
So I am "stuck", should I worry, I have no medical background so I know not where I stand? What can be the cause of this and what can be done?
My doctor recommended Testosterone Shots, but I am not sure whether I want to do that, are there any consequences to that?
As much info as possible is appreciated. Thank You!!
 dsjeya - Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:51 am

repeat the test in another lab,after taking vitamin E 400 m.g for a month
 Drag30545 - Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:19 pm

Yes I will do just that, I am going to go take the test in another lab, and see if there are any differences.
Thanks

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us