Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Bloody Sperm, Prolonged Sitting, Blood after bowel Movement

jfeller - Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:30 am

I am a 33 years old and my ejaculate has been full of red or brown blood for 6 months to a year. I have asked my doctor what this could possibly be during my normal checkup in the last year, and he said it is very normal and lots of men experienced it and even though it is very frightening for me to see the blood it is not out of the norm. After having this problem for this amount of time, it has started to weigh on my mind and my wifes even though it is considered within the norm to have it. I don't have problems urinating at least nothing extreme that I have noticed like frequency or pain. Within the last month I have started to see blood come from penis during a bowel movement. This doesn't happen all the time, but if I strain at all it will, so since this is something new it is another indicator that maybe things are progressing in some way. I have read a lot online, and a lot of things suggest that all these things can be considered within normal symptoms of what you can see with an irritated prostate, and not usually a sign of anything like cancer. In my career I sit at a desk for almost all of the day, and from what I can read, this can be one of the major catalysts to the irritated prostate because a male sits on his prostate while sitting down. My main concern is that there is nothing horribly wrong and I am not taking care of it, but on the other hand I don't want to have a bunch of procedures done just to find out the problem is an irritated prostate because of prolonged sitting. Does anyone have any information?
 alex.hardcastle - Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:34 am

It woulld be helpful to know what diagnostic tests you have undergone thus far. For example, CT scans, blood work, abdominal films, etc. Has a testicular exam been performed, if so, were there any unusual findings? What diagnostic efforts have been directed toward the bowel and prostate? Was your PSA finding within the normal range expected for a person of your age?
 jfeller - Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:28 am

I haven't had any true diagnostic tests for this, although during my normal physical my doctor did say that 1 of my testicles had a varicose vein. Apparently the vein or the cord that is attached to the testicle is all coiled up. Everything that I have been told so far is that it is within the norm to have these issues, especially with prolonged sitting in an office chair everyday.

--Jason
 nycrealtor - Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:37 am

jfeller wrote:I haven't had any true diagnostic tests for this, although during my normal physical my doctor did say that 1 of my testicles had a varicose vein. Apparently the vein or the cord that is attached to the testicle is all coiled up. Everything that I have been told so far is that it is within the norm to have these issues, especially with prolonged sitting in an office chair everyday.

--Jason

Jason, it has been 2 years since your post. I would love to hear how you are doing and if you have ever gotten to the bottom of your bloddy semen, i have something similar

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us