Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: urinating blood

hypohondric - Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:27 pm

For the last 24 hours I`ve been urinating blood. I also feel a strong tension in my bladder, as if I have to urinate all the time. What are the possible problems to cose this indisposition and what are their sollutions?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:18 pm

User avatar Dear Hypohondric,

Urinating blood and the sensation of strong tension in the bladder are usually caused by urinary tract infections in young females (especially if sexually active).

i suggest that you have a urine analysis done to confirm the diagnosis and the treatment is usually antibiotics.

Other causes of blood in urine are urinary tract stones and tumours. Blood in the urine caused by stones are usually associated with severe colicks. Blood in the urine caused by tumours is usually painless.

You have to go to a doctor and have a urine analysis done.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 sixthgensi - Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:53 pm

My girlfriend has something similar but i'm not sure if it's exact. She is sexual active, and we did have sex like 2 days before she has this pain in her stomach. She also says that she bleeds when she goes to the bathroom. Not alot, but enough to make her urine pinkish. I for sure thought she was pregnant. So could this be a sign of it? Or is it like you said, a infection in her bladder. Also she always have the run to the bathroom.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:19 am

User avatar Dear Sixthgensi,

This could be an infection and the best way to make sure is to have a urinalysis.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 Patmirror - Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:20 pm

I wanted to know if there is anything i can do at home to treat the problem?
please reply
thank you
 leftconfused - Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:14 am

Hi, My husband is a truck driver and has a problem is urinating blood. He saies it's not a little blood but seems to be all blood, little urine. He take an asprin everyday, drinks loads of coffee, sometimes sleeps to little, smokes alot, also has been having dizzy spells some, and he's over 50.
Thank you for any suggestions.
 marc678 - Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:23 am

hi,
i am a 19 year old male, with no prior health problems, surgeries, and i am not following any medication.

yesterday i was sitting on my couch watching tv and had my hand was on my testicles. all of a sudden, i may have made a sudden movement, my left testicle began to feel very sore, and painful. late,r i played a soccer game, went out to a bar and had a few drinks and danced a little bit even, where in all three of these activities my testicle was submitted to painful contacts, such as someone brushing up against me, which felt very uncomfortable.

this morning i woke up, and my left testicle was very inflated, visibly looking much larger then the right testicle, which seems to be fine.

i vomited that night due to having eaten an excessive amount of late night snacks.

today, the left testicle is no longer as tender as it was yesterday (there was a point where i could barely stand it was so painful), yet when i urinate there seems to be some blood, and i feel the need ot urinate much more often. do yo uhave any idea what the problem is and whati should od to resolve it?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us