Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Painful cyst/lump on top of right testicle

mla30 - Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:18 pm

Hi - I'm 30 years old. For the last 5 years I've had a small, hard, painful nodule or cyst just above my right testicle. It's approximately 3-4mm in diameter and feels like it's attached to the epididymis and not the testicle. My doctor says not to worry if the pain is tolerable. Sometimes the pain is tolerable and sometimes it's not. I'd really appreciate hearing from anybody who has any advice or experience with anything similar to this. Thanks!
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:54 pm

It is surprising that you have not been subjected to an imaging procedure to investigate this testicular swelling. Your description is suggestive of an epididymal cyst (also known as a spermatocoele), which is a benign swelling around the head of the testis. It may be painless or tender. Ask your doctor to refer you for a testicular ultrasound to confirm or exclude the condition.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine