Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Red urine

FRIDA - Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:16 am

Hello everyone. I would like a professional opinion for the following matter. My husband came down with severe diarrhea for 2 days. He also had fever (38.3). The first day after a bad bout of diarrhea he noticed that his urine had red colour (excuse my language im from europe). The next day he was feeling better and his urine was slightly red. The third day he was ok. The diarthea stopped and the fever as well and the colour of the urine was totally normal. 40 days prior to this incident he had blood and urine exams (annual check up) and everything were normal. What do you think was the cause of the red colour in his urine? He isnt bothered by this incident by i m afraid that it might be something else. Can any infection that causes diarrhea change the colour in urine? Can the lack of fluids due to diarrhea create this abnormality as well? Could this be hepatitis? Any answer would me enormously appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
 Michele P, RN - Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:03 am

Dark brown or clear urine are more characteristic of hepatitis so that would not be my 1st assumption.

When the urine is more blood tinged...as in a pink or red color, it can be many things but the most likely are side effect of a medication, recently eating something such as beets or certain brries, urinary tract disorders in which bleeding occurs such as: cystitis, enlarged prostate, bladder tumor, stones, kidney infection.

If it were more a dark yellow (to orange tinge) it might be caused by recent use of laxatives or Vitmain B or carotene.

I would not say that bloody colored urine would come from dehydration...that would make the urine very cloudy, dark yellow...even to a orangy-tinge..but not blood colored.

Any time there is something like that, a call to the doctor would be advised.

Best of Luck :)