Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Showing the Doctor my Erect Penis?

 TJ0214 - Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:30 pm

I have this bump that only appears when I am erect. I have checked a few months ago with a Doctor who gave me an exam who could not feel anything and said come back if it bothered me. My Doctor is a female would it be inappropiate to ask them if I can show them my penis erect? I thought I could take a picture of it but it does not show up. If anyone else can answer this will a doctor look at your penis while its erect or is that forbidden? This is pretty embarrasing for me I just want them to see how it comes up when Im erect.

Thanks so much
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:36 am

User avatar Hi TJ0214,
Notify your physician and explain to her that the area of concern can only be noted when you are erect. I find it doubtful that it will cause her or you or her much embarassment if this will identify the area of concern.
 TJ0214 - Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:12 am

Thanks Rntdj. Now the embarrasing part how do I get it erect in front of her? I would feel very akward to stimulate it while she is standing there.

 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:23 am

User avatar Hi TJ0214,
If she has no objections, she can certainly excuse herself out of the room for a short amount of time.
 TJ0214 - Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:39 pm

Thanks again for all the help. I am assuming that because you have a little nurse under your name you are in he field. Is this something that is uncommon for a nurse or doctor to look at? I don't want to be one of those guys who are one of the first to ask that question. I guess what I am saying is it part of the normal routine if you have an issue with your penis that a nurse or doctor will inspect your penis in an erect state.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:52 am

User avatar Hi TJ0214,
Your assumption is correct. Physician's, nurses and other health care professionals examine problems related to the genitalia when the need arises and it is not uncommon for this to be part of a physical exam. Explain to your physician that the problem you are having is viewable while you are erect. If she is uncomfortable with this she will simply say so.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us